Pearson BTEC Level 3 Award in Principles of Management Overview
Qualification Number (QN):601/5292/8
Credit value: 8
Guided Learning Hours: 64
Total Qualification Time (TQT):80
Awarding Body : Edexcel
What is the purpose of this qualification?
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 Award in Principles of Management is designed to provide learners with an introduction to the occupational knowledge and attitudes that are required for employment in roles such as Trainee Manager and Assistant Manager. Learners may already be in employment in one of these roles, be newly appointed or have the intention to work in one of these roles. It gives learners the opportunity to:
- Develop an understanding of the core underpinning knowledge to support employment in the job roles mentioned above. This includes an understanding of the application of different management styles and theories, the functions and responsibilities of management, the decision-making process and the principles and practices of managing business and individual performance.
- Progress to and from Management Apprenticeships. Notably a) from Level 2 Apprenticeships and Team Leading qualifications; b) provide a scaffold for the knowledge learners require in order to move into the Level 3 Management Advanced Apprenticeship or other relevant Level 3 qualifications
- Achieve a nationally-recognised Level 3 qualification
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification is based on the most up to date National Occupational Standards (2012) for Management and Leadership as defined by Skills CFA, the Sector Skills Body. The qualification is accredited on the Qualifications and Credit Framework. Learners will need to achieve two mandatory units outlined below before Pearson can award the qualification.
The 2 mandatory or compulsory units are:
- Unit 01: Principles of Leadership and Management Styles ( credit 4, GLH 32)
- Unit 02: Principles of Managing Performance ( credit 4, GLH 32)
How is this qualification assessed?
This qualification is assessed through internal assessment by your tutor or assessor using a range of methods (written assignments, practical tasks, portfolio of evidence, centre devised assessments etc.
Who could take this qualification?
This qualification is for all learners aged 16-18 and 19+ who are capable of reaching the required standards. Learners do not need any prior qualifications, knowledge or experience before starting the qualification however they may be seeking work within the business and professional management and leadership sector, or they may already be employed in a cross-sector role or function that involves defined management activities within an operational area of responsibility.
What could this qualification lead to?
Learners could progress on to a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Management. There is also the possibility of progressing onto the Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Management (Apprenticeship).
Potential job roles for those working towards this qualification are:
- Assistant Manager
- First Line Manager
- Senior Supervisor
- Section Manager